Sunday, March 18, 2012

Preparedness Week 6

Well I am so excited!  I finally got to plant some seeds. Even though my Mom, (Who I have never seen plant a garden) said that it was too late for me get my garden started from seeds.  Well my little seeds have already started popping up from the soil.  Wow, these little okra seeds grow fast.  I watched a video on youtube before that showed a seed growing, you know they took pictures of it every few hours and played them very fast so it looked like it was growing before your eyes.  Well I planted this okra on Tuesday and it is doing great.  I am surprised.  You know I am not very good with plants.  I have got to get my garden spot marked off and tilled up.  I just have so many things to do in my yard right now, I just go from one thing to the next.(kind of like my rambeling on in this blog) Oh, well.  You know that you can join the blog and leave comments.  This way I will know that more than just Denise and I are playing on here.  This is really fun.  When I am posting possible things for you to do, it makes me do them too.

Well my Preparedness tip for this week is let's get out those 72 hour kits and go through them.  I know that the clothes that I put in there for the kids 3 years ago will be way too small, not to mention that some of the food, etc... may be expired.  I have attached a sample of some ideas of what your 72 hour kit may need to inclued.


72 Hour Emergency Kit
By Rachel Woods, About LDS Guide, http://lds.about.com


Notes:
Update your kit every six months (put a note in your calendar/planner) to make sure

that: all food, water, and medication are fresh (not expired), clothing fits, personal
documents and credit cards are up to date, and batteries are charged.

Small toys/games are important too as they will provide some comfort and
entertainment during a stressful time.

Older children can be responsible for their own pack of items/clothes too.

You can include any other items you feel are necessary for your family's survival.
 

Some items and/or flavors might leak, melt, “flavor” other items, or break open.

Dividing groups of items into individual Ziploc bags might help prevent this.

Food and Water


(3 day supply of food & water per person

when no refrigeration/cooking is available)

Protein/Granola Bars

Trail Mix/Dried Fruit

Crackers/Cereals (for munching)

Canned Tuna, Beans, Meat, Vienna

Sausages, etc (“pop-top” cans might leak/

explode & Jerky can “flavor” other items)

Canned Juice

Candy/Gum (Jolly ranchers can melt &

mint gum might “flavor” other items)

Water (1 Gallon/4 Liters per person)

Bedding and Clothing

Change of Clothing (short and long

sleeve shirts, pants, socks, jackets, etc.)

Undergarments

Rain Coat /Poncho

Blankets and Emergency Heat Blankets

Cloth Sheet

Plastic Sheet

Fuel & Light

Battery Lighting (Flashlights, Lamps)

Extra Batteries

Flares

Candles

Lighter

Water-Proof Matches

Miscellaneous

Bag or Bags to put 72 hour kit items in

(such as duffel bags or hiking back packs,

which work great)

Infant Needs (if applicable)

Equipment

Can Opener

Dishes/Utensils

Shovel

Radio (with batteries!)

Pen and Paper

Axe

Pocket Knife

Rope

Duct Tape

Personal Supplies & Medication

First Aid Supplies

Toiletries (roll of toilet paper—remove

center tube to easily flatten into a zip-lock

bag, feminine hygiene, folding brush, etc)

Cleaning Supplies (mini hand sanitizer,

soap, shampoo, dish soap, etc. Warning:

Scented soap might “flavor” food items.)

Immunizations Up-to Date

Medication (Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen,

children’s medication, etc.)

Prescription Medication (for 3 days)

Personal Documents and Money

(Place these items in a water-proof container!)

Scriptures (miniature ones are lighter)

Genealogy Records

Patriarchal Blessing

Legal Documents (Birth/Marriage

Certificates, Wills, Passports, Contracts)

Vaccination Papers

Insurance Policies

Cash

Credit Card

Pre-Paid Phone Cards


Please feel free to leave a comment as to what else you think the 72 hour kits need.




















No comments:

Post a Comment